June 4, 5, 11, 12 from 10:00 am to 3:45 pm
Orientation Evening: Thursday May 6, 2021 – 7:00 to 8:30 PM
The EFT Externship is an introductory 28-hour training in Emotionally Focused Therapy. The main focus is working with couples although some time will be spent on Emotionally Focused Individual Therapy (EFiT) and Emotionally Focused Family Therapy (EFFT).
Taking place over 4 days, this training includes the observation of live and video recorded couple and individual therapy sessions, presentations of theory and clinical techniques, skill training exercises, and discussions of cases, clinical material and issues.
General Objectives: Externships in EFT
* Participants will obtain a clear understanding of the basic experiential and systemic concepts of an “Emotionally Focused Therapy” approach.
* Participants will be able to view clients in their negative interpersonal attachments and conceptualize relationship distress and repair based on theories of attachment and emotion
* EFT is a relational therapy. The externship will focus on the general model of EFT as laid out in the 2019 book, Attachment Theory and Practice, and present the model as it is implemented in couple and individual therapy sessions.
* Participants will develop skills in sharing, maintaining and engaged, open and collaborative alliance with clients.
* Participants will develop skills in the 5 moves of the basic macro-intervention – the EFT tango – in order to change patterns of affect regulation, models of self and other, strategies for engaging with others and interactional patterns.
* Participants will develop skills in EFT micro interventions taken from experiential and systemic models of intervention.
* Participants will develop skills in overcoming common blocks and impasses in all three therapy modalities and so shaping core corrective emotional experience that lead to constructive dependency and what Rogers termed ‘existential living’.
It includes an overview of the entire model including steps and stages, interventions, adult attachment theory, and application of EFT with couples and families. The externship is recommended for all types of mental health clinicians to counsel or want to cancel couples.
This training is the prerequisite for all other EEFT trainings.